Friday, September 30, 2011

Recommended Blogs

1. Jon Shayne's Blog: my friend Jon has started a blog that contains a sampling of his insightful views on business, the economy, and investing.  I often tell Jon that he should have been a professor--he is more of an intellectual than many of my esteemed colleagues in the academy. Jon recently shared this great cartoon with me, from Donald Marron's blog:



2. M. Howard Thomas's Anthropology, Design, and Mobility presents a fascinating look at the intersection of culture, how we think, and design.  In a recent post he reports on the work of the late Hans Monderman, who showed how too many traffic signs, for example, could be counterproductive.  Indeed, he demonstrated that no signage was often much, much safer, as folks were more attentive.  Thomas then asks how urban design make take into account the vast tacit knowledge of residents. I don't know the answer, but the question is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment